After working on Scorecards with Cecilia McMillen, are any Marlboro MBA students ready to step up to the XPEDX Sustainability Scorecard Challenge? If any students are interested in participating, please contact Rob Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Sunday, January 23 at midnight EST.
About the Challenge
xpedx challenges the Net Impact community to create a sustainability scorecard for xpedx’s suppliers. xpedx is launching major sustainability initiatives within its own operations, which includes leveraging its influence with suppliers and promoting sustainable business practices throughout its supply chain. This is an exciting opportunity for students to work directly with xpedx and its suppliers, which range from international film and camera accessory distributors to popular household cleaning and pharmaceutical brands. Students’ final projects will include a vendor survey, a sustainability scorecard, and an analysis of why they believe this scorecard and survey will meet xpedx’s needs. The results of the competition will be instrumental in strengthening xpedx’s sustainability program and laying the foundation for an ongoing dialogue with suppliers to enhance their commitment to sustainability.
xpedx is the world’s largest distributor of printing papers, graphic supplies, and equipment by revenue and volume. It is a fast-growing provider of packaging and janitorial-sanitary supplies and equipment and has a third-party logistics (3PL) business serving large and midsize retailers and manufacturers worldwide. xpedx customers include commercial printers and publishers, manufacturers, retailers, facility managers, U.S. government agencies and companies across many industry segments.
As a leading distributor of facility supplies and equipment, xpedx represents an increasing number of suppliers with “green” programs and/or third-party certifications. They have assembled this information in their Environmental Solutions portfolio, a comprehensive resource that combines the industry’s green offering across multiple product categories with a straightforward “how-to” guide to help facility maintenance providers design their own green-cleaning programs.
Benefits of Participation
- Gain valuable experience working directly with xpedx and their suppliers on a real-life sustainability business challenge
- Learn from sustainability executives
- Help multiple companies advance their sustainability goals!
- $5,000 and travel stipend for the winning team to present their ideas at xpedx headquarters in Loveland, Ohio
- Stipend to all participating teams for project expenses
- February 18, 2011: Applications due
- February 20, 2011: Three finalist teams announced
- May, 2011: Finalist teams will present their ideas via webinar to representatives from xpedx and International Paper
- August, 2011: Winning team will present their ideas to xpedx executives at company headquarters
* Timeline is subject to change. Participants will be notified in advance of any changes.
Teams must submit following application material by 11:59pm PST on February 18, 2011:
Application Judging Criteria
Applicant teams will be evaluated based on:
- Team composition
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Understanding of sustainability and supply chain challenges
Teams must consist of 2-4 current graduate students.